After graduating the University of Oklahoma, Mike served as a combat officer in the United States Marine Corps in Vietnam. His broadcast career began in Chicago, Illinois and included account executive positions at Petry Television and Blair Television. At Blair Television Mike sold for stations in 23 of the top 25 television markets on the Major Market Team.
The DeLier Group was formed by Michael DeLier. Mike has been an experienced, successful, and innovative owner and operator in the broadcast industry for over 40 years. His experience includes successful management of “turn a rounds” at the station and group level. Mike as Station Manager worked along side Ed Turner as he developed the "News Room" concept of television news. Ed later took those same ideas to CNN where he was instrumental in starting that Network.
Mike's list of achievements and innovative accomplishments include:
- Successfully re-staffed, reorganized, and expanded sales staffs at the national and local levels.
- Executive in charge of news operations for television group.
- Developed the concept of profitably simulcasting television newscasts on local radio stations.
- Originated and expanded news operations at station and group level resulting in increased ratings and revenue.
- Conceived and started three state radio news networks.
- Executive in charge of National Finals Rodeo including production, sales, and syndication.
- President of two state telecasters associations.
- Director national television network affiliate board.
- Executive in charge of multimillion dollar programming purchase for large public television group.
- Executive in charge of televising State PGA Golf event including production, sales, and syndication.
- Provided expert witness testimony in lawsuit between major broadcast groups.
- Successfully challenged network non duplication agreements with the FCC.
- Successfully handled cable retransmission agreements.
- Has developed strong relationships with owners and presidents of major national political agencies in and around Washington DC.